Friday, December 6, 2013

When I become a parent...

I don't want to become a parent... Ever. A mini me would be adorable and everything, yes, but it would just be too much work for me. I'm a perfectionist, so I would obsess over EVERYTHING about my child. Then it would become a teenager and not even like me anymore, because most teens don't like their parents, in my experience. So parenting would just be a lot of work with no reward, for me anyway.

But, for the purpose of this blog post, I'll tell you what I would do if I were to become a parent. When a person becomes a parent, their parenting style is generally quite similar to their own parent's. 

I wouldn't do anything that my dad did. He is and was a pretty awful parent. For that reason, I don't trust him and I don't respect him, though I am obligated to love him. I would never follow in his parenting footsteps.

My mom, on the other hand, was and is a pretty good parent. If I were to be a parent, I would spend a lot of time with my kids, begin teaching them educational things at a very young age, and never judge them; just as my mom did for me. 

1 comment:

  1. You crack me up! My 10 year old doesn't like me, so it seems like that happens earlier and earlier!! Just for the sake of thinking about it try really hard to think of one time your dad made you smile. A look, a joke, a touch, checking cows, going to movie, when you were sick, something...remember that time.

    ReplyDelete